Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Eyes of Texas are Upon me


It's Sunday, September 30th and here I am in Texas with Rob and Jo and the twins.
Rob invited me down to go to a Texas A&M football game on Saturday.

It was a very cool experience. It actually started at midnight on the eve of the game with what they call the Midnight Yell. That's when all the students go to the stadium and practice their yells for the game. It was very ritualistic and I believe they sacrificed some virgins at the end of the Yell but I couldn't be sure in all the commotion.

Rob was cute as a button in his little Aggie T-shirt

Glad I brought my hat and T-shirt. Everyone was in maroon

Saturday at the game I was in the student section with Rob, about a gazillion students and a few bewildered older folk like me. The students stand for the entire game! Not only do they stand, but they stand on the benches. Our bench just happened to insist on wobbling back and forth the entire time so it was 3 and a half hours of balancing in 34 degree Celsius weather. Please inquire about my much improved core strength when you see me. It had such an effect on me that when I got up later in the middle of the night to answer the call of the wild (I know it should be the call of nature, but trust me, when I get up it's the call of the wild) I was quite wobbly on my feet. I was sure I bounced off a couple of walls before I returned to the safety of my bed.

And of course the twins have been delightful. We really should do something about all their smiling. As with all my grandkids, I got a big kick out of just observing them play and dismantle everything within their reach.
Saturday nite we went to a traditional barbecue eatery.

Bring on the grub y'all!

Yeah y'all bring it on eh!

This here corn's mighty deelishus!

Ditto y'all!

It wasn't easy getting the boys to sit still long enough for this picture but we did it

Well now I've completed one of my goals of going to an NCAA football game. Now I just need to go to an NFL game and get court side seats at an NBA game... Get working on that will you kids? Thanks for the game Rob.

2 comments:

Jolanda said...

Glad you came Dad. We had lots of fun and the boys sure do love you lots!

Tanis said...

so the game is kinda like the sea of red at flames games only maroon and football eh!! i wish i couldve gone. i miss those boys!